I have really become a fan of audiobooks. A couple of years ago I wasn’t so sure about them, but the more I listen, the more I love them. Nothing makes an annoying or stressful car ride better than a great book. And when I’m working at home, a gripping story can make the hours fly by. Here are some I recommend.
10 Mystery Audiobooks You Need to Find
- Moriarty by Antony Horowitz – This one was good, nothing extraordinary, until about halfway through it became one of the best books of year! The ending completely took me by surprise. Great narration on this one.
- No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith – My favorite in this long series is the first one, but any of them are good. The African narrator adds so much to the story that I imagine reading it in her voice when I read the print too!
- Silks by Dick Francis – Francis is one of my favorite mystery/thriller writers and I’ve loved all the audio versions. This one is set in a courtroom.
- A Lady in the Smoke by Karen Odden – I’ve already reviewed this Victorian mystery here, but it’s worth mentioning again. The setting really adds to this book’s appeal. Review here.
- The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Jayne Alford. This one has an unexpected ending that made it a totally unpredictable ending. Review here.
- The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie – It’s not her best, but it is the first. I listened to the one narrated by Hugh Fraser and he does an excellent job with each of the characters.
- Behold, Here’s Poison by Georgette Heyer – This one may be hard to find, but I love her mysteries. They’re full of crazy characters and have a touch of old-fashioned romance.
- The Heiress of Linn Hagh by Karen Charlton – A great narrator made this one work for me. Captures different English voices and I got a picture of each character as I listened.
- The Dispatcher by John Scalzi – As much science fiction as mystery and completely original. I loved the main character and his story.
- The Murder of Mary Russell by Laurie R. King – This one took characters I thought I knew and changed everything completely! Bold and dramatic and completely engrossing.
There, now you have 10 more titles to look for if you’re already a fan of audiobooks, and if you’re not, well, here’s 10 reasons you should be! Tell me what you’re listening to in the comments.